No, hard boiling an egg is not rocket science. Yes, I call my mom almost every time I do it.
Because nothing ruins an egg salad sandwich faster than an undercooked egg. But how can you tell when an egg is perfectly boiled and ready to be slathered with mayonnaise and nestled between carbs?
Poke it with a fork? Wait until it turns a nice golden brown? Smell it? You see my point. Hence my monthly 8am phone call to my mom:
How do you boil an egg again?
Mom! Just tell me. Is it ten minutes? Or seven?
Ok. Pot uncovered, right?
Oh, yeah! Covered. Sorry. I forgot. It’s early.
Bring it to a boil uncovered, then remove it from the heat and cover the pot.
Mom. You’re the best.
No, that’s it. Just didn’t want to ruin my sandwich. Nothing ruins an egg salad sandwich faster than an undercooked egg.
Mmm hmmm. Bye, dear.
- Cell phone
- Put eggs in a pot and cover with water
- Bring to a rolling boil, uncovered
- Once boiling, cover pot and remove from heat
- Leave for 15 minutes (not 7, not 10)
- Drain eggs and rinse under cold water
- Open windows and light a candle